Monday, July 6, 2009

Help the Homeless

It is reported in the news by the Homeless Coalition that there are 5,000 homeless people in Palm Beach County. What about the ones that are not reported? It seems that Westgate Tabernacle Shelter is trying to make a difference in the lives of the homeless. However, there is a cost, a big one. $10,000 for code violations (money that could help the shelter) because the pastor has put up a tent for the men to sleep, in order that the men, and women be separate (biblical). The county takes money from the shelter in fines. Now, if emergency services are needed, then to send out firemen would cost the county, who pay the firemen to do their job. Something is wrong with this picture. The county fines Westgate (a shelter for the homeless) and Westgate pays the county (fines for code violations). Then, someone at Westgate falls ill, and firemen (paid by the county) have to come out to the shelter to do their job (which costs the county). Perhaps, the money is just going in one big circle. Just a thought. This so happened while I was visiting one day, and I went home, and thought about it. The pastor of Westgate is trying to make a difference in the lives of the homeless, but he keeps getting "slam dunked," and it does not seem right. I have made three trips to the shelter, and I see what a good job he is doing. Everyone is fed, clothed, and has a place to sleep. Keep in mind that not all of Westgate's inhabitants are adults. About a week ago, I went by with some donations for everyone, and to visit. My mother always taught us to "do for others." I asked about Nicholi, and found out that he was still there. I had not thought that little boys could be homeless, and for this long. Perhaps, I could not bear to think it. I have come to know Nicholi, now age four. I first met him in June 2008, he was three then. He had a birthday on August 25. So now he is four. His dad brought me to him, and he still had those sparkling baby blue eyes. He said "what are you doing here?" in the sweetest little boy voice. And then he grabbed my leg to hug me. I told him that I had come to see him. "How is your angel bear doing?" I said. He wanted to show me his toys that were in a box on the floor. He kept pointing to them. He asked me if I had a book. I did not have a book that day, but I had a little stuffed bear. Well, he just loved that, and he hugged him tight. He said, "It's Winnie the Pooh," in his sweet little boy voice. And we had a little visit, and I visited with some of the other tenants, and then I went home. I could not get that little boy off my mind. Living in a homeless shelter for one year with his father, and mother. And I asked myself why? And it bothered me. So, I decided in the shower the next morning that I was going back there on Thanksgiving Day, and I was going to read to Nicholi. I do not have much money, but I bought him a coloring book, crayons, and two small pooh books. And I read to him, and when I got into character, giving voices to pooh, and all his friends, Nicholi laughed himself silly. He just loved it. And then I wrote him a personal message on the inside cover of his coloring book, and drew Ernie&Bert from Sesame Street (an artist I am not) and I made a little boy happy for one day. You know how I knew, because he wanted to go with me when I left. I told him that I would come to visit again. The decision that I made to give up a Thanksgiving meal was worth that little boys smile. It is my prayer to the good Lord that little boys like Nicholi do not have to live like this. That in the United States of America little boys, and little girls of all ages would not have to be homeless.
Heartstrings Two, Copyright © 2008 by Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment