Monday, July 6, 2009

Greed

Greed is the excessive desire to acquire or possess more (especially more material wealth) than one needs or deserves. When I think of greed, I think of the city in which I live which used to be a town. It has grown and with it has grown greed. I need look no farther than all the new homes being built, the ones that are already built, some inhabited, some not. On most any day I will see people working the grounds and many of them do not speak English. There will be a foreman nearby and they usually come in on the boss man's truck where they are privileged to sit in the back, out in the heat, while he sits in the cab. The worker will smile at you, but it looks forced. I always wonder when I see these people, (who have feelings by the way) if they ever wonder why they have to sit in the back of the truck. I have noticed most of these trucks are landscaping vehicles. I feel sorry for these people. The Bible says in James 5: 4 (NIV) "The wages you failed to pay the workmen who mowed your fields are crying out against you." One might say someone has to mow the grass. This may be true, but just for a moment think about how you would feel if you had to be out in the heat all day working on some rich guy's property and then go home to your "little shack in the woods." I also understand how the rich might feel that they earned this kind of living, but at the same time I cannot help but think of the guy sleeping under the bridge at night and I wonder why. How does this love your neighbor as yourself?
Heartstrings Two, Copyright © 2008 by Library of Congress

No comments:

Post a Comment